This program is administered
by the Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board (MRMIB).
How do you apply?
First, you should read Who can join Healthy Families?
There are 4 ways to apply. To apply you can:
- Fill out an application
- Apply by phone
- Apply online through Health-e-App, OR
- Get help with your application from a Certified Application Assistant
Fill out an application
To apply, fill out a joint Medi-Cal and Healthy Families application. You may call to get an application, or you may download the application:
- To get the application, call 1-800-880-5305. The call is free. You may call between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays.
- You may also download a copy of the application in multiple languages, with or without instructions.
Mail the application along with papers that are asked for such as proof of income and expenses. Instructions about mailing are on the form.
Apply by phone
You can call Healthy Families and have a customer service representative fill out an application for you. The representative will ask you questions, fill out a form, then mail the form to you so you can sign it.
To apply by phone, call 1-800-880-5305. The call is free. You may call between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays.
The phone call will take about 20 minutes. You will need to have these items when you call:
- A pen or pencil and paper to write down information.
- A pay stub you received within 45 days or last year’s Federal Income Tax Form 1040 for everyone receiving income in your household.
- If someone is self-employed, the most recent 3-month profit and loss statement or last year’s Federal Income Tax Form 1040 and Schedule C.
- Birth dates for every child applying in your household.
- Amounts for child daycare expenses.
- Amounts for disabled dependent care expenses.
- Amounts for any child support or alimony either paid or received.
After the call, Healthy Families will mail you a pre-printed application. You will need to make sure that the information is correct and sign the application. Mail the application back to Healthy Families with papers that are needed to see if the child qualifies. The papers are: proof of income, expenses, and citizenship or immigration papers. The application package has information on what to send.
Get help in person from a Certified Application Assistant
Certified Application Assistants (CAAs) are people from community organizations who have been trained to help you fill out the joint Medi-Cal and Healthy Families application. The community organizations that CAAs work with are called Enrollment Entities (EEs). You can search for an Enrollment Entity in your area. The Enrollment Entity will find a CAA who can help you prepare your application.